Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Rose by Any Other Name...or musings about vessels



I waded through the water and climbed into a vessel that would carry me out to deeper water. There, an airborne vessel awaited. I was afraid of flying, so I drank a strange brew from a vessel that was handed to me. Whew, that stuff was strong and packed a wallop. I could feel it spread through my blood vessels from the tips of my toes to the top of my head. I was so goofy I could swear that when I looked at the flower in my lapel, I could see the water flowing through the vessels in it. Then, we hit turbulence. I was close to panicking but thankfully the woman in the seat next to me was a vessel of peace.... 

Heh, heh, heh...please pardon those plays on the word. Just had to get it out of my system.  Here's what dictionary.com says about the word vessel.

ves sel
noun

  1. a craft for traveling on water, now usually one larger than an ordinary rowboat; a ship or boat.

  1. an airship.
  2. a hollow or concave utensil, as a cup, bowl, pitcher, or vase, used for holding liquids or other contents.
  3.  Anatomy, Zoology. a tube or duct, as an artery or vein, containing or conveying blood or some other body fluid.
  4. Botany. a duct formed in the xylem, composed of connected cells that have lost their intervening partitions, that conducts water and mineral nutrients.
  5. a person regarded as a holder or receiver of something, especially something non-material: a vessel of grace; a vessel of wrath.


Origin:
1250–1300; Middle English  < Anglo-French, Old French vessel, va (i ) ssel  < Latin vāscellum,  equivalent to vās  (see vase) + -cellum diminutive suffix

-Nancy Berlier



This is the final Vessels; All the Eyes Can Hold blog. I hope everyone who read it enjoyed it and learned something interesting about how a simple word can provide so much visual pleasure. Thank you to the talented artists, thank you to the Kennedy Heights Arts Center, and thank you to all those who came to see the show.

Lynn Conaway

P.S. I included some pictures of a few of my vessels.





















No comments:

Post a Comment