Sunday, July 28, 2013

Vessels ; Inspired by Nature

ELIZABETH RUNYON
 
No Exit
Elizabeth Runyon’s large woven sculptural forms explore and expand on traditional Appalachian ribbed basket techniques. She is inspired by nature and the possibilities suggested by the materials, primarily reed.
   
Bio
 Elizabeth Runyon has been making baskets for more than 25 years and recently began weaving large sculptural pieces based on Appalachian ribbed basket techniques. Her work was included in recent juried exhibitions including the Ohio Designer Craftsmen Best of 2013 at the Ohio Craft Museum in Columbus (May 5-June 23), traveling to the Southern Ohio Museum in Portsmouth (July 12-Sept. 30) and the Springfield Art Museum (Oct. 8-Dec. 1). She also had a piece selected for Fantastic Fibers 2013 by International Artists at the Yeiser Art Center in Paducah, Ky., and for the 46th Greater Hamilton Art Exhibition at the Fitten Center for Creative Arts. Runyon is a graduate of the University of Cincinnati and has attended CraftSummer workshops at Miami University, as well as a white oak basketry class at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, N.C. She has also studied Nantucket and sweetgrass basketry traditions.
She lives in Oxford with her husband Randy, a professor at Miami University, and two needy golden retrievers.


 MICHAEL CONAWAY
I have designed and built wood furniture for many years. I started turning wood in December 2009 when I was laid off from my engineering job.
All of my turned work is made from material that was destined for the landfill or someone’s fireplace. I do not buy material to make any of my turned pieces; there is plenty of “waste” material available just for the asking.
I like the idea of reusing wood because old wood is often more interesting that new; the process of aging usually leaves its mark somehow and adds interest to the piece.
I do not start out with an idea of what I want to make. I start with a piece of wood that looks like it might be interesting, figure out how to get it on the lathe with an eye to maximizing the exposure of the best parts of the grain patterns, and minimizing the amount of wood that is turned into waste. The shape of the piece is guided by what reveals and enhances what the tree has produced. The wood tells me what it wants to be.
With larger bowls or vases, I always attempt to relieve smaller pieces from the center of the piece. Because I try to work with highly figured wood, it seems that turning large amounts of the material into shavings is a terrible waste. The small pieces removed from the center of bowls or vases often have some of the most interesting grain patterns.
Walnut Pod
Okay, I admit it this is my husband Mike.

                                   
                                               
Claire Prenton


The inspiration for my ceramics comes from many diverse elements; my love of nature, of history and my own British heritage. I find the beautiful and ornately decorated pottery and architecture I was familiar with growing up is a reoccurring  theme in my work .
I want my work to have a timeless quality to be elegant, graceful and yet still feel organic and connected to nature. I like the viewer to be able to feel and see how the clay has been formed and so will leave seams and thumb prints visible. Touch is an important element and so when I make a piece I imagine how it will be held and where your fingers will rest.
Many of my pieces have small vignettes or cameos to contain a painting of a precious subject such as a bird, shell or feather, these are not only beautiful but they also hold a memory of a place and time.
My pottery is made from a porcelain clay which is fired to midrange. The clay body is smooth and white which means I can achieve very pure clear colors when I glaze. I make many of my own glazes so I can create a subtle palette, it also means I can make glazes that will move, react and flow. My work is built by hand and I apply many different processes such as stamping, incising, sprigging and slip trailing to achieve a rich jewel like layered surface.

Shell Sauce Boat with Stand and Spoon
www.claireprenton.com 


ELLEN SOLARI

Ellen Solari is maker of sculptural baskets. Formerly a painter, she discovered the world of textiles after learning  how to knit. A Boston native, she graduated with a B.F.A. from Massachusetts College of Art.

Recent group exhibitions include "Community of Artists", the Danforth Museum of Art, Framingham, MA; "Threads Bared, The Nave Gallery, Somerville, MA and "Dialogues", Kingston Gallery, Boston.




                             
 
Forest Primeval
Want to see more vessels inspired by nature? Re-visit;
Xylem Highway 4/15/13
Eggs As Vessels? 1/1/13
Opium Poppy Seed Pod 9/23/12








www.ellensolari.com
ELLEN SOLARI
 



No comments:

Post a Comment