Monday, March 4, 2013

How would a photographer answer the Vessels call?


I was thinking about how a photographer might interpret the Call to Artists in the Vessels show, since it is open to any medium. There are many examples of fine art in the Old Masters that depict vessels of all sorts. But I began thinking about contemporary photographers and from there my thoughts turned to Anne Geddes, who is known for placing babies in fanciful costumes and vessels. I know, I know -- you fine art photographers are probably saying, 'You'v got to be kidding me." 
Geddes -- I know, I know -- is very commercial. She’s sold more than 18 million books and 13 million calendars. I’m not sure how fellow photographers view her work artistically, but you can't argue that she certainly is successful. And I’m sorry, but I love baby photos. So in hopes this inspires some photographer to consider how to respond to a call for vessels art, below is a sampler of Geddes.
There's a comment line below. If you'd care to offer your thoughts on how photographers might meet the show parameters, please do.  
Everyone please remember the  deadline to submit is May 1. See the rules here in our archive or at
http://www.kennedyarts.org/Content/Exhibitions/Call-to-Artists/Vessels.html
--Nancy Berlier

No comments:

Post a Comment