Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Lynn Conaway: The Origin of Vessels

Lynn Conaway
Several months ago, I had an idea for an art show about vessels. At the time, I was thinking about vases and bowls. Then I realized that vessels could be many other things. So I began to toss around the idea of a show about all connotations of the word vessel. My idea just kept getting bigger and bigger until I thought this is crazy, I can't do this by myself. One day, I ran into Carole Staples and just mentioned that I had this idea. Carole jumped right on it, and we were off and running. She and I have co-curated a show before. A couple of years ago we put together a large fiber art show called Fibers: A Celebration of Cincinnati's Fiber Artists. It was at the Kennedy Heights Arts Center and was very successful. So that is how I got into the curating business.

I am actually a self taught artist. I work mainly in fiber and mixed media. My work is shown in galleries locally. Six or so years ago I came up with a large scale embroidery technique which I call Straight Stitch Painting. So far as I know it is unique to me. 


Another technique I enjoy is making fabric wrapped coiled vessels. I am making some very interesting and different coiled vessels for this show. Later on I'll post some links to instructions Meanwhile, here are a couple of pictures of my work.
 --Lynn Conaway

No comments:

Post a Comment